Saturday, September 22, 2012

Day 22



September 22

Up this morning and off to meet Sergey Krylow at the St. Petersburg Academy of Art.
A marvelous tour of the place where Sergei teaches hot enamel technique and monumental painting.




                                                                      Classroom 



                                                              Wall relief in hallway

                                                                Sergey and Ed


Then back to the apartment for a nap.

After lunch I went to my installation where the lady responsible for the space, Olga, asked if I would leave the installation up for a longer period of time.  I was honored to be asked such a question. This is the wonderful  part about my installations. I get to spend days in the space getting to know how the space functions and getting to know the local people all the while creating community.



There was a group of about 25 artists doing sketching in the space.

Olga then introduced me to a lady that had lived in this courtyard her entire life and had done 6 video clips of my piece.  She brought me hot tea and various images she had taken from her upper floor apartment.  She also asked if I would consider leaving the piece up for a longer period of time.  So plans have changed. Now I intend to leave the fence up one more week. At that time the local children get to keep the flags for projects and the uprights will be used in spring plantings.

Heading home I passed by the Drama Theater to see several public works including word pieces by Nicolas Frasier 



Tonight was the closing dinner party….and what a wonderful dinner party it was. I feel like there has been a party every night since I arrived. They really know how to do this in Russia.

It started raining and I came back to sleep in preparation for tomorrow’s packing to head back.

No comments:

Post a Comment