Sunday, September 16, 2012

Day 15

September 15

I guess I am starting to get use to waking up at 10am and going to bed at 2am. That seems to be normal operating hours here in St. Petersburg.

While walking this morning, I passed the Catherine Cathedral. The sun was electrifying her colors of beautiful rose and peach. So wonderful.


Arrived at Pro Arte this morning to continue work on my blog. 


I am happy with the current results but anything can use improvement. While there I continued my adventure in the Peter and Paul Fortress. Very interesting. I passed through the Neva Gate. This riverside entrance, also known as the "Death Gateway" leads to the Commandant's pier from which prisoners embarked on their journey to exile or execution.




After finishing at Pro Arte and taking time for a photo op with a local - scarily some are real and other are not and VERY hard to tell the difference -



I exited the St. Peter's Gate featuring the Romanov double eagle with the emblem of St. George and the dragon.





This was constructed in 1718.

Afterwards crossed Trinity Bridge and into the Suvorovskaya Ploshchad where I encountered hundreds of armed police with riot gear. I continued on to find out there was a civil rights protest happening near the Eternal Flame. I was really surprised to see such impassioned people since so many have been imprisoned since Putin's recent crackdown on such activities. Brave souls.



Went to the market and returned home.  

At 8pm went with Ed Woodham and Kendal Henry to the home of Pyotr and Susan Katz. What a beautiful apartment with sweeping vistas. Several artists came by and Susan had prepared a wonderful meal and the wine was flowing. A wonderful occasion. Back to the apartment at 1pm.

I really need to get on the tourist bandwagon and see some sites. Tomorrow will be a busy day.








No comments:

Post a Comment