Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Day 19



September 19

I spent the first 2 hours of the day updating this blog and social media information.
Walked to the local hardware store to get supplies.

The 10 extra supports I needed for the project were delivered and I headed over to the installation site.

I was there 3 hours doing some landscaping as I saw fit. One area of this park is also a public playground. It was really wonderful spending time there and seeing exactly how the community interacted with this space. 

 
Each time I would trim some of the trees, the children would pick up the debris and make brooms or other creative inventions. There is also a wood pile I was concerned about that the children use to create. It is always a good idea to spend time in a space before installing. This park is the heart of this community.


My being there has caused a buzz. I handed out information regarding this installation and my artist statement.  Fortunately many spoke English as here, unlike Nizhniy, I am on my own in regards to the work site. 

Stopped by a convenience store to get some water where I encountered a bloodied man…continuing to bleed…..trying to steal a bottle of vodka from the store. He and the owner got into a squabble and I made it out just in time before I, like the manager, was covered in blood.  Just one of those odd moments.

Made it over to Ed Woodham’s installation site where they were wrapping up and leaving. We grabbed lunch and headed back to the apartment to get ready for  the panel discussion tonight regarding public art.

Arrived at the art center and viewed a show in one of the gallery spaces.


The panel discussion went well. Once again I became very emotional when talking about some of my projects that deal with death and loss. It always happens and I always move past it.


 Afterwards there was a huge gathering for an after talk dinner in the art center. Met some wonderful people from the St. Peterburg art community.



 Walked back to the Terminal Bar to rehash the day’s events.

1 comment:

  1. wow you are haveing quite an adventure, we are going to be boring to you when you get back
    love from your regency gang

    ReplyDelete